Captain’s Log: Exploring New Horizons from Jeju to Japan Stardate: May 2026-June 11, 2026
The ongoing mission to explore strange new worlds has led to multiple away missions.
A fellow officer and I went on a reconnaissance mission to locate the infamous "Secret Beach." Tucked away on the perimeter of the island, nearly untouched by tourist starships, this hidden sector is a heavily guarded piece of intelligence. The veteran instructors of the Global Education City (GEC) pass down these navigational coordinates only to trusted colleagues. Reaching the destination required a trek through dense forest and some rock-clambering, but the quiet and private sandy coves were well worth the effort.
The next away mission took us to the mainland. I accompanied our basketball cadets to compete in the season-ending KISAC tournament in Daegu. The opposing quadrants brought heavy firepower, but our cadets exhibited the kind of grace, resilience, and sportsmanship that would make any Starfleet captain proud.
While I won't be directing this specific fleet next season—a highly experienced tactical coach has been recruited to take the helm—I am eager to cheer them on from the sidelines.
While I won't be directing this specific fleet next season—a highly experienced tactical coach has been recruited to take the helm—I am eager to cheer them on from the sidelines.
To celebrate Buddha’s Birthday, observed on the 8th day of the 4th lunar month, a friend and I embarked on a terrestrial trek along another Jeju Olle Trail. The route led us to a stunning local temple, beautifully decorated with colorful lanterns.
During this trek, I had my very first sighting of the legendary Haenyeo (해녀), Jeju's iconic "sea women." Unfortunately, due to our distance from their diving site, none of my photos documented the sighting.
=================== HAENYEO INTELLIGENCE BRIEF ===================
* Status: UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
* Cultural Shift: In the 17th-18th centuries, diving became a female-
dominated profession on Jeju due to heavy taxes levied on male
labor, combined with tragic losses of men at sea and in wars.
* The Feat: They free-dive up to 10–20 meters into the icy ocean
without any breathing apparatus, holding their breath for up to
two minutes to harvest abalone, sea urchins, and conch.
* Semi-Matriarchal Society: By becoming the primary breadwinners,
the Haenyeo completely reversed traditional Confucian family
structures on Jeju island, turning women into head-of-household
leaders.
* The Present: Many of these formidable guardians of the sea are
currently operating in their 60s, 70s, and even 80s.
==================================================================
In the final weeks of the academic year, I joined an elite officer detail to escort our Grade 8 cadets across international borders to Japan.
Our itinerary was packed with cultural interactions. We initiated our tour at Universal Studios Japan, which was smaller than Florida's version, but still held all of the thrills, including Nintendo World, which was a new experience for me. Unfortunately, I still suffer from motion sickness from rides, so I kept my enjoyment to observing cadets and socializing with the other officers.
The next stardate brought us into the beautiful, ancient territory of Kyoto. We wandered the green paths of the Arashiyama Bamboo Forest (Chikurin) and walked the historic Togetsukyo Bridge (originally built in the 9th century; its name means "Moon Crossing Bridge"—very fitting for Starfleet!).
From there, we wandered the bustling, preserved stone streets of Ninenzaka and Sannenzaka to reach the crowning jewel of the sector: the temple Kiyomizu-dera. Founded in 778 AD, this magnificent temple complex was built without a single metal nail!
On the temple grounds, we encountered a cultural test of strength involving the legendary iron weapons of Benkei, a famous 12th-century warrior monk, legendary for his strength and battle skills. The Benkei challenge invites visitors to test their strength by lifting 3 artifacts claimed to have been carried by Benkei himself. These include a pair of massive iron shoes and two heavy iron staffs (scepters). The larger staff weighs 90 kilograms (nearly 200 lbs)!
Tradition claims that lifting this heavy staff grants good luck, strength, and protection. It mirrors Excalibur in the stone or Thor’s hammer Mjölnir—a true test of a leader's worthiness. Naturally, the students convinced their favorite teachers to try. Watching them cheer on Mr. Glenn was unforgettable, as were the genuine groans of disappointment when he fell just short. They truly believed he could do it. Rest assured, Mr. Glenn: your character is undeniable. You are fully worthy of the Captain's chair on any Starfleet flagship.
On our final full day in Japan, we surveyed Osaka Castle from the castle grounds. Osaka Castle is a 16th-century stronghold surrounded by stone moats.
Afterward, the students engaged in a shopping mission at a massive mall complex. While they experienced complete sensory overload at the Nintendo Store, I made a lucky discovery and was able to escape the chaos.
The Japanese National Volleyball Association was hosting a high-stakes live tournament right outside the 13-story mall! Watching elite-level athletes play my favorite game was a massive upgrade over retail shopping. Chaperoning these cadets around historical sites was a privilege, but I look forward to exploring them again when I'm not attempting to herd tribbles.
We spent the final week back on Jeju taking cadets on local field trips. We visited local biomes of interest. Tuesday brought us to the lava caves and gardens of Hallim Park and Hyopjae Beach. On Wednesday, we visited the local amusement park, Shinwha World. This small park had a few fun rides without the multi-hour queues of Universal Studios.
On Thursday, we officially reached the end of the academic voyage. We celebrated our Year 5 cadets moving up to Middle School and our Year 8 cadets graduating into High School. The entire faculty and family contingent formed a ceremonial honors corridor between the buildings, clapping the graduates forward into their future educational quadrants.
To celebrate a successful mission, I wrapped up the final day at the beach with great friends.
Reflecting on this uncharted voyage, I realize I've had so many amazing opportunities to learn and grow. I've made new friends from all over the world. I'm scratching the surface of learning a new culture. I've been able to share my passion for sports with some enthusiastic students. Better yet, I get to play again with other adults who, like me, understand the necessity of warming up and stretching 👵. I've been able to rediscover my love of hiking and am surrounded by nature. I've added five new stamps to my passport, and have plans on the horizon to add more. I love my job. I love the kids I work with, and they have taught me more than I have taught them. It's not the mission I expected or even wanted, but there's so much to be grateful for.
Here’s to living long and prospering, no matter where the stars take us.
Comments
Post a Comment